Sunday, September 28, 2008

Our definition of 'Adventure'

Probably the most discussed topic so far in class has been "what is adventure." And after hours and hours of repatative banter about whether or not an adventure can only take place outdoors and so on, it seems clear that there is not one solid definition, and it therefore depends on the individual experiencing the adventure.

With that said, my personal definition for adventure is the following:

Adventure is the encountering of an obstacle that poses some sort of challenge, threat, or danger determined solely by the adventurer.

1 comment:

Jayson said...

Steve:
Hmmm. One common thread people seem to have in all their definitions of adventure is that it is subjective, or up to the person having the adventure. In some sense I agree with this; for example, I get bored kayaking on easy rivers, where others are having an adventure. But on the other hand, I wonder if there is a socially-determined aspect of it too? For example, I am struck that everyone put the video game in the "definitely not adventure" column. So we DO have some shared ideas about adventure, it seems. Hopefully this isn't too repetitive for you. I have been studying this for years and I am still figuring it out! I'll be keen to see where you are at by the end of the semester.